Forms for Incoming Students

Only 100% residential programs are eligible for the F-1 visa status. Please review the International Student Acceptance Packet for the steps for the visa process.

All incoming international students are asked to attend the Summer/Winter Intensive before the start of your first semester (online options available for online/hybrid students).

Those students using the F-1 visa status are required to attend the in-person components of the Winter Intensive & New Int'l Student Orientation. 

Contact me with any questions: Jody O'Connor,

*same details in the document applied to the 2021-2022 academic year* 
COVID Information here
This document explains the next steps for newly admitted students in residential programs to obtain an F-1 student visa. It also includes information on scholarships, employment and services for F-1 international students.
You may scan required documents in one email to Jody O'Connor at, but please keep the originals for your visa appointment and arrival to the U.S. Jody may require the originals be presented at the New International Student Orientation.
Online degree programs are not eligible for the student visa and therefore new students do not need to provide financial documentation. Online students are eligible for services offered through Student Affairs Office and International Student Services.
(.pdf, 828K)
Submit the Certificate of Funding form with original financial support documentation showing the minimum amount required to obtain the I-20 as outlined in the International Student Acceptance packet.
(.pdf, 560K)
F-1 visa applicants must pay a one-time fee to supplement the administration costs of the Student and Exchange Information System (SEVIS). New students are required to pay this fee.
(.pdf, 656K)
This is a short list of some organizations for finding funding through grants and scholarships. Please help us keep this information up-to-date and relevant. If you find any good leads for funding, please let the International Student Advisor know.
(.pdf, 483K)
Students already attending a U.S. institution who wish to transfer their SEVIS I-20 form to CIIS must also submit the Transfer Eligibility form.
(.pdf, 591K)

Many applicants for student visas are denied for reasons that can be avoided if a little advance knowledge and common sense are applied. Here are some tips prospective students should consider when preparing for an interview with a US consular officer (or at the border, for Canadians).


(.pdf, 462K)

If you are a newly admitted student in the U.S. in a valid visa status and wish to change to the F-1 visa status, you may file a Change of Status application, can remain in the U.S. and should begin your studies at the start of the semester for which you are admitted.


(.pdf, 606K)

It is CIIS policy that F-1 and J-1 visa holders have health insurance while studying at CIIS. Students can provide proof of coverage in English from their home country or from a US insurance company. This document provides information on understanding the admittedly confusing world of health insurance in the US. More details are covered at the New International Student Orientations.

CIIS does not endorse any one company, but can provide links to various insurance companies that folks have used in the past. In general, the more expensive the plan, the more coverage one receives per injury/illness.

International students on the F1 visa are not eligible for Medicare or Medicade health plans. Enrollment and usage of these plans can have negative impacts on your F1 visa status and/or future visa applications.

(.pdf, 1748K)